About these ads

Pimpin' Stats

How To: Change Icons

Surprisingly, lots of people don’t know how to change the icons of folders and documents, so I’ve decided to post a lil’ How To on changing icons :D

While there are various methods of doing so, I’ll be explaining changing the icon of an item by downloading folders with the icon attatched (so its actually a folder which your are downloading, not a .icon file.)

Step 1: Go and download some icon folders! Suggested place are at InterFACELIFT and http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/icons_screensavers/. One of my favorite icon sets is Monoliff from the Panic Blog.

Step 2: Take the folder or file that you want to change its icon, and click ‘Get Info’

Step 3: Then take the folder with the icon that you want to replace the original with, and also click ‘Get Info’.

Step 4: Select the icon you want to replace the original with, it should be highlighted blue when u click on it. Copy it, and then click on the icon that will be replaced (again, it should be highlighted blue) and then, paste it. Viola, complete!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

NOTE: Sorry, the image got cut off and I was too lazy to fix it. It says “Notice it’s highlighted.”

Now that wasn’t too hard was it? If you’re still having problems, leave a comment and I’ll try and clarify things.

UPDATE! Looks like there’s an easier way to change icons

You also might want to check out another how-to!
And check out the latest app review over here!

Checkout my new video blog! -> Video, Kill My Time

About these ads

157 Comments on “How To: Change Icons”

1. steve says:

can you tell me where the original OSX icons are stored?

sorry for the dumb question…

• Faris says:

You will find default icons here:
      System ▸ Library ▸ CoreServices ▸ CoreTypes.bundle ▸ (control-click) Show Package Contents ▸ Contents ▸ Resources

Good luck.

2. Matt says:

Is there an easier way to just change all the looks at once without having to go through each and every one? Like with monoliff since it has 77 icons.

• gar says:

get yourself : liteIcon (Lite Icon) from the apple downloads site and follow instructions… Very easy to use… doesn’t seem to work on Snow Leopard
      Alternatively :Candybar 3.1

there may be other similar apps but these seem to be the friendliest (and free)

3. Knight says:

@steve: I posted a link to the original icons. Go to http://pimpmymac.wordpress.com/2007/03/11/follow-up-how-to-change-icons/

@Matt: It doesn’t seem possible to do a massive icon change all at once, unless a new icon changing program was created which would be able to recognize different icon alternatives.

4. steve says:

thanks alot!

5. Paul says:

@steve:
    That’s a good question. I did some snooping around, looking for some icon files, that sort of thing….and I didn’t find much. I don’t think there would be a ‘mother’ folder for the original icon. It wouldn’t be practical, especially since people are always trashing folders/files. However, I was afraid that I might want to go back to the original icons, and not have them! So what I did, was I compiled a bunch of folders with icons for other folders, like for HD, Apps, Users..

So, when I find the time, I’ll post up that list of folders with the original icons, and you can just download them off the site :)

@Matt:
    To be honest, I’m not too sure. Yes I did go through most of them, one-by-one-by-one…The thing is, there is no ‘signature (shall we say?)’ on each of the folders. It can’t be an automatic thing because there’s nothing on the folder saying that ‘this is an application icon’ you know what I mean? It’s just a folder that is named ‘applications’ (for example), with an icon. Because of this, the computer can’t just recognize that folder as an icon for a specific folder. So, to answer your question, I don’t think there is any easy, quick way out of this (at least not with this technique of switching icons).

I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to answer your questions, and I will look into that Matt, and I’l post something up if I figure out a way to do it. If I wasn’t clear, post again, and I’ll try and re-phrase my explanation/answer :D

6. JayReal says:

How do I change icons that in the Get info folder say “Read Only” ?

7. Sam says:

plz, im to lazzy to go through them all. it would be nice, like matt said, if there was some way to do them all at once

8. as;dlkj says:

u stink it didn’t work!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Paul says:

@JayReal: You can’t. Unless there’s the option to switch it to ‘read and write’ mode. If it’s possible to change it to that, than it will work.

@Sam: I feel for you man, but unless someone creates a completely new way for changing icons, then I dont think there’s any other way :S I’ll look into it again, but I highly doubt there is a way. Sorry!

10. PeterSterling says:

Is there a ‘trick’ to changing the trash can icon? The copy and paste method is not working for me.

11. Paul says:

@PeterSterling: Hey man, I got in contact with the creator on Monoliff, and it is a protected resource, so the best way to change the trash icon is to use candybars, which you just need to google, and you’ll find a link :D

12. JohnNy says:

How can I restore?

13. Paul says:

There is no way to restore with this method. You can try and find icons for those you replaced. Or, you could go download a folder I uploaded at: http://pimpmymac.wordpress.com/2007/03/11/follow-up-how-to-change-icons/

It has most of the main folder icons.

14. Jasper says:

Don’t know if this works for you guys but I found shortcut to go back to original icons. Just open the ‘get info’ of a folder you have changed, highlight the image you pasted in there, and simply hit delete. No need to re-paste originals all over again. Please let me know if this works for you.

15. mic davis says:

It didn’t work for me, wouldn’t let me copy or paste

16. Alp says:

here is an app than can change many icons at once.
    panic.com/candybar/

17. bryan says:

monoliff doesn’t work for me. I open it’s folder; inside are many generic large blue folders and when I click on one, like documents, there is nothing in them. please email me and tell me why monoliff doesn’t appear to work. I’ve downloaded it several times. each time I open any folder in monoliff, they are all empty. Please help. It sounds like a cool feature.

18. Seanae says:

Ok….. here’s the challenge. I can change all the icons in OS X, except for the blue apple. The only option is to change it to graphite……….. I want it to be red……. How do I do that?

19. Paul says:

@Seanae: You can only do it with the CandyBars application, which is available on the Panic Blog.

@Bryan: Later on, I’ll email you

20. Jon says:

I have had more fun with this site and have dicovered the easiet way so far of changing the icons of any or all. simply open the monoliff icons next to the candybar icons and move them one by one over to their ‘well’ and at the end apply the changes by restarting the finder and poof they are there. I tried opening the info technique and it was tedious. This way is faster and candyber has some nice icons also but I really like the monoliff. thanks for a fun time and I also like the smart scroll. It rolls the text like the new Iphone. Great stuff.Jon

21. stephen jacobs says:

I still do not understand where the icon folders are on the mac.

22. Knight says:

@Jon, Thanks for the input!

@Stephen: There are no ‘icon folders’ you download the icons you want, and then you follow the steps with those icons and the one’s you want to change.

23. alexis says:

I can’t figure out how to paste the icon?
    could you help??

24. DotMySpot says:

lolz.. I think Mac accessories are great :).. Good info..

25. Knight says:

@alexis: you just copy the icon and paste it (Command+C and Command+P) :D

26. daniel says:

how do you do the trash icons and the finder icon cause your steps dont wor with trash and i cant get to the finder get info

27. AGRIVATED says:

WHAT THE HELL, THIS MAKES NO SENCE HOW DO I CHANGE THE DAMN ICON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. dan says:

WTF?!!! where do i paste the folder?

29. dan says:

got the pasting thing finally but how do i change the trash icon

30. ry says:

ok well for monoliff there is a download for CandyBar (a iContainer) so download the icontainer version (or candybar version) and Use CandyBar

31. jo mamma says:

i did what the instructions said to and it still wont work please help thanks

32. Ricardo says:

The instructions on how to change icons are fine. Trouble is, when I get to step 4, the copy menu item is greyed out , and so the icon I’ve selected can’t be copied. And the icon isn’t highlighted. Or did you mean the “spotlight comments” bar, which is.

33. foster says:

I just changed my pictures folder for my fiance and my document’s folder for myself. Now I think I have lost or at least i am freaking out b/c I can not find all of our pictures or anything all of my documents are gone too. any help please getting these things would be greatly appreciated!!

I need everything for school and work and she is going to kill me we had so many pic’s in thre with no copy’s in a external hardrive

34. foster says:

HELP HELP, just got off the phone with apple the have no idea where all of my pic’s went , i photo library gone aperture library gone , photo booth gone, evrything that was in the folders that i put the new icon on are gone in both my pic’s and doc’s noone can find them anywhere not even in the trash!!!

any that can please help let me know

35. Paul says:

Hey everyone, if you read my latest post, you would know why I haven’t been commenting back.

@AGRIVATED: Buddy, can’t help you out, the instructions I posted seem to be working fine for everyone, not much I can explain more than that.

@Ricardo: I’m not too sure what you mean! You should be able to Command+Copy when you highlight the icon!

Foster: Holy shit, I have no idea what you did! I think there must be a bug with your computer! If you changed the icon of those folders, the contents aren’t modfied in any way! If they were deleted, then they HAVE to be in the trash. The way you’re describing it, it sounds like your computer got formatted. I have no idea how the icons could have deleted the contents, it sounds impossible. I really have no idea what you can do to recover those files, I’m terribly sorry, and if I knew how that happened, I could help you. are you ABSOLUTELY sure you followed the instruction precisely? If you did, then I think you might have a faulty motherboard or something, cause I’ve had a problem in that kind of catagory.

36. foster says:

Yea, I know the Apple tech’s have no idea either on how it could have happened without anything being in the trash, It happened on my I mac that had the first intel in it. I know you guys are awesome and the apple tech’s use your stuff and I do on my mac book which I am on now since they told me not to use the i mac anymore and take it in to the apple store and hopefully the mac genius can figure it out being hands on or maybe there is so recoverie software that can or recover it find it. Yea I did just what it said , on my macbook I use the canybar software but that I mac i tired to use that copy and paste method just to do soemthing quck to make my woman happy I was on the phone with apple all night. Its so weird there are no pictures folders any where or only a black new one that i made the old ones are gone i photo library gone
    I am also deffently buying an external hard drive when I go to the apple store too I guess this is what I get for putting it off for so long, but it sucks becasue I love photography and had so many pictures on there and evrything from aperture to phtoebooth is gone and even the programs that were in sie my pitcures folders are gone like I had special effects programs i kept in thre and gone , so it could be a bug or mother board?? is that apple’s fault??

37. Blair Warnock says:

how do u change the finder icon???

38. Blair Warnock says:

how do i change the finder icon????

39. Paul says:

@Blair: The technique I posted doesn’t work on the finder, try CandyBar

@foster: Dude, I’m sorry to hear that, it sucks to have lost all of your data and photos, especially since I also love photography, and is one of my hobbies. I think it’s possible that your motherboard is faulty, and having an iMac, I’ve had to change my motherboard TWO times! If this is the case, it would technically be Apple’s fault. I hope the Mac Guru’s figure out how to fix it, good luck :)

40. Raquelia says:

I just happened to be adding another slow me down program because i like color and bright things and came across your site. You have some really cool icons! But after just reading a few entries I remembered before i did my latest erase and install that i forgot to save this other really cool icon program that DID YES IN FACT ACTUALLY CHANGE ALL MY FOLDERS WITH BRAND NEW ICONS! i did not have to do a thing except download, say goodnight, and when i clicked on in the afternoon when I got up, presto there they were! I got the site from a photoshop magazine, which I am usually glued to if not my canvas, unfourtunatly i forgot the name of the site or the icons, I want to say icandy or eyecandy or some other equalyl silly but lovable name. if I run into it i’ll pass it along. This is how my life is, totally frustrating…..

41. hmm… guess i should also buy my own mac unit. ^^

42. MrFoyler says:

Ohla! I like em, all youre folders…I`ve got a little problem though cause some of em just dont want to copy themselves, or be pasted, I dont know…but maybe you do?
    Mr.F

43. Jon says:

Sorrry all you are having so much trouble with the icons. I posted the march 17 directions on moving the icons using candybar andit really was a smooth job of just moving icon to icon and a finder restart and all the icons including finder and trash are installed. to reiterate;
    open the monoliff icons in a window on half the screen then open the candybar site where their icons are shown in what they call a ‘well’. The icons are labeled the same and you just move the trash in monoliff to trash in candybar etc. At the end of the move there is a button at the bottom to apply or activate and restart the finder. In less than a second all the icons are installed. I hope this helps. Jon

44. barry says:

hey knight i just tried changing my icons but i stoped when i got to my music folder because i lost over 2500 songs after i copied the icon. i now cant find them anywhere at all, n wen i read fosters reply i nearly cried, is there realy nothing i can do?

barry

45. Mark says:

I was reading your post about changing the trash icon. What do I search for on google?

46. Paul says:

Barry- This has nothing to do with the content in your folder! You can change the icon of you HD and nothing will be lost, your music folder should not have been affected. The format of changing icons that I posted is what I found on the Apple site, so if any data was lost, it can’t be because of that. If it is the case, then the problem is with the computer, and is beyond your control. I was looking through other guides on changing icons, and noticed that some people did lose some data. This is a bug in the computer, which is beyond the users control. I don’t know why this affects some people. Out of the 10,000 views of the post which I put, only two such problems have occured. I’m not sure why. Barry, you seem to be a victim of this problem, and there’s not much I can do. did this only happen to your Music Folder?

47. Paul says:

Mark- Because the Trash is a system folder, the only way you can change it is with the CandyBars application. Google ‘CandyBars’

48. Chris says:

Hi, I tried to change my icons and did not know how to do it right and things are screwed up. I think I moved folders in the process and I tried to put the monoliff folder in the trash when i was done and things would not work unless I got it out of the trash.
    Also, one of my music programs won’t work now and paswords for websites are not coming up after I put in the first letter.
    Any help to unistall get things working right and start over would be greatly appreciated. (I wish I would have looked at this page before I started).

I have a G4 10.3.9

Thanx

49. Paul says:

Chris: All I can suggest is that you try deleting the icons off the folders. Basically, do the ‘get info’ on the folder, and highlight the icon, and simply delete. That should restore the folder. I don’t really know if that will do anything, but it’s worth a try. Also, is there anything that you did which wasn’t on the instructions I posted? If so, please let me know, because that can help me help other people with problems. And let me know to see if it worked :D

50. pete says:

how do change the trash icon and computer icon, my computer icon says read only however i’m the admin? confused, but great icons mate, i have mac book pro, osx tiger

51. Paul says:

-Pete

The trash icon is a system folder, which is why you cannot change it with this method. You can however change it using the CandyBars application (just google it ;) ). If by computer icon you mean the HD icon, then you should be able to change it. Even if you weren’t admin, all you’d have to do is enter the admin password. Try using different icons, it should read ‘read and write.’ Check your user privileges, double check that you are admin.

52. pete says:

cool thanks

53. pete says:

by the way whats goes Candy Bars do?

54. pete says:

and is there a candy bar program for mac os x version 10.4.9? thanks mate

55. Paul says:

According to the website, it says it has full 10.4 support, and requires at least 10.3.9

Guess that means 10.4.9 should work well.

56. pete says:

Thanks mate ur awesome it worked perfectly, also people are saying they cannot change all the icons at the same time, well i have an answer.

Download CANDY BARS if its the wrong version download it anyway and it will ungrade, then simply tell candy bars what icons to use i admit takes bout 10 – 15 mins hit APPLY and it will change everyone for you (Brilliant Program!)

57. Paul says:

Well, there you have it! Pete and many people seem to like it, so give it a shot!

58. Lee says:

For those of you looking for a way to revert back to the default icon. Simply click to highlight the icon top left in Get Info view and then Edit and Cut. If your doing a few the Cut shortcut is handy. This is an alternative to downloading the default icons and then copying.

59. jordan says:

hey um how do you change the trash icon and get it to appear in the with the new icon in the dock?
    is this possible?
    thanx

60. Paul says:

Lee- Or, you can simply highlight the new icon and delete

Jordan- Yes, with CandyBars

61. LEXXONE74 says:

I JUST FINISHED READING THIS WHOLE INTIRE PAGE “WOW” I’M GLAD I DID BECAUSE I OWN A IMAC, I WOULD REALLY HATE TO LOOSE DATA SO, I WOULD RECOMEND TO ALL IMAC USERS TO BACK UP PHOTOS, MUSIC ECT. BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES. WELL GOT TO GO BECAUSE I HAVE ALOT A WORK AHEAD OF ME BUT I’M SURE IT WILL BE WORTH IT FOR ALL THE NEW ICONS MY IMAC WILL BE SPORTING. THANX FOR THE TIPS EVERYONE. GOOD LUCK!

62. Lee says:

Thanks for that Knight. Just downloaded CandyBars from the Apple Website, which as everyone has pointed out seems to do all the hard work for us!

I know I’ll end up going back to the original OSX icons eventually, but I do like to mess around!

Thanks. Good Luck Lexxone74

63. Danny Wayne says:

I followed your instructions to the letter and it did’nt work. When I highlight the icon it does turn blue but when i right click my mouse, nothing happens. there is no option to copy and paste. I tried ctrl C and then ctrl V but that doesn’t work either. Can you help this nOOb?

Thanks

PS: Super Cool Icons

64. Paul says:

Thats weird, is the file read only? Make sure the file is read and write, and then ctrl-c the icon you want and ctrl-v on the highlighted ‘soon to be replaced’ icon.

Lol, we’re always a n00b once.

65. Rayray says:

Is there a way to change all the icons at once … cuz i have many files and i was wondering if there is an easier way other than doing it one by one..!

66. Sarah says:

Hi there! I managed to change almost all my icons except the Finder icon. Any idea how I can go about getting it done?

67. Paul says:

There are a few icons which can’t be changed manually, some of those being trashcan (as for as i know) and the finder icon. Your best chance would be downloading CandyBar: http://www.panic.com/candybar/

68. [...] To find out how to apply the icons, visit my how-to guide. [...]

69. Amy says:

I didn’t see it on this page, yet, but I have a mystery going on (for me anyways). I know how to change an Icon.
    I don’t know what application to use when I down load Icons and then when I try to open them up, it will say “Choose application”. What the heck application am I suppose to use to open and Icon package?

70. Paul says:

What format are the icons?

71. Shiz says:

I’m well-versed in changing icons, but my I just adopted my husband’s old PowerBook, and while icons were not a problem for him, many of them (iTunes being one) will not change. I’ve restarted the mac, reinstalled iLife, had my hubby look at it, and still when I paste the icon in, nothing happens. What’s going on?

72. Paul says:

Hmmm that’s pretty strange. What other icons won’t change? Are there any other icons from the iLife package? If there are, then possibly iLife has a problem.

What you can try is repairing permissions, or just runnning a system maintenance on the computer. I suggest MainMenu for this: http://pimpmymac.wordpress.com/2007/02/21/main-menu/

See if that changes anything. Doesn’t really matter if it’s an old powerbook, my sis has got one :D but what OS is running on it? Also, check if your iTunes is up to date.

If this stuff still doesn’t work, and you would really like to change the icons, then you can resort to CandyBar (http://www.panic.com/candybar/), however, you must buy it, though it is worth every penny.

Hope this helps, let me know the results :)

73. shannon says:

When I ‘get info’ on the icon, the correct picture doesn’t show up on in the window. I get the icon used for Preview images.
    Is there a way for me to make the correct icon to show in the window?

74. Paul says:

The icon used for preview images? That’s strange. Is this only for photos and preview files, or for all your apps?

75. Nico says:

i cant do it, explain how do i actually change all of them one by one or what? what is the folder i want to replace? i want 2 change all off them… sorry

76. Paul says:

Manually, you have to do it one by one. You can download CandyBar to do it automatically if you want, but it’s gonna cost you: http://www.panic.com/candybar/

77. [...] Posts How To: Change IconsHow To: Download YouTube Videos….for free!Clear DockHow To: Turn Your Mac Into an AirportiSquint- [...]

78. [...]How To: Change Icons – The easy way![...]

79. Andrew Nicholson says:

ok i worked it out pretty easy but… when i go info on a jpg gif or any picture format it displays only the generic file icon in the top left corner rather than the preview of the file…. someone help please!

Andy

80. Paul says:

Well, I don’t think you can change the icon of a preview file, not even with LiteIcon (http://pimpmymac.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/how-to-change-icons-the-easy-way/) or CandyBar (http://www.panic.com/candybar/) but what you can do is instead of seeing the ugleh preview icon for all of your pics, you can set things up to show a tiny preview of the picture.

On your finder bar, go to view>show view options (or press Command+J) and tick off the ‘show icon preview box’

Now, you won’t have the boring old preview icon :) Other than that, I don’t think there’s much that can be done, sorry :S

81. Laura says:

Thank you so much!!!!! :)

82. Paul says:

You are most welcome! :D

83. Ben says:

how do i change like a firefox icon, what you told me to d for the folders doesnt work for firefox icon

84. Paul says:

Could you be more specific? Doing the exact same thing should work with any icon and any application or folder, with the exception of the trashcan/finder/dashboard icon, those need the app.

85. Tinka says:

Hey, I need a new program to change icons. I have already liteicon and candybar. Liteicon isnt working very well. The testversion of candybar is finished and i have to pay for it if i want to use it again. Is there any other program?

86. Paul says:

Nope, Liteicon is the only freeware for the job.

87. Tinka says:

damned. okay, thx

88. [...] Про смену иконок Trash и Finder я напишу отдельно, так как процесс этот менее тривиальный и требует навыков работы с фотошопом :)Пока писал все это дело, все-таки нашел краткое описание на русском по смене иконок, ну совсем краткое. Собственно на оригинальность я и не претендую.  Оригинальный источник  [...]

89. Jo says:

Hi guys,

just read some comments

to restore the origanal icon go:

onto icon info (ctrl+I) click on the icon and press ctlr+x eg. apple cut

90. sadi says:

i can’t seem to change some of my icons again.

i initially altered them with the manual copy/paste method and inserted my own jpeg files.

now, when i click on the icon in the get info window, it will not highlight. i’ve tried

everything i can think of but i just don’t seem to be able to reselect the icon’s image.

any ideas?

91. Paul says:

It’s not highlighting? That’s strange…Well, I think there must be something buggy in your system – try using LiteIcon, which you can find in the UPDATE link at the bottom of this post.

92. amiiir says:

thankssss mannnnnnnnn ;)

93. surfnux says:

hi mate,

I try to change my Mac HDD icon by the same method, but the copy is made from an Icon png file. So, what I did was I find an icon file, I copy it, and I paste it into the Mac HDD info icon. But then, icon was not shown, instead, it is showing the “Preview” icon. And now I can’t restore it back to the default in anyway. Help man…

I try to download ur default icons that you backup, but megaupload is not giving me slots. I just need that Macintosh HDD icon. Thanks,

94. Paul says:

Alright Bro, no worries, some icon png files have a png image icon. To restore it, just highlight the icon and delete it.

I don’t have my computer with me now, so I cannot upload you the Macintosh HD icon at the moment… For now, go ahead and search some of the newer icons on the web, you have some very smooth lookin’ icons :)

95. Kenny says:

Thanks for this!

96. persian_princess71 says:

hey i went to that interfacelife site. Everytime i download something i like it doesnt show a picture, it just has a blank white page.
    If you could help that would be great :)

97. Paul says:

Hmmm, could you elaborate a bit? If you download a wallpaper, for example, it just shows a blank page on your browser? If that’s the case, then it’s a problem with the Interface website. Is this what you mean?

98. Marcus says:

I have new Imac and did exactly what you said and it copied but it would not let me paste onto the icon i wanted replacing ? Cant understand something so simple to be so frustrating !!! Why will it not let me paste onto icon being replaced ?

Marcus

99. Paul says:

What icon are you trying to change? some icons like Trash or System Folder are secured…

100. persian_princess71 says:

well its like everytime i download what i want it doesnt show the image of what i downloaded. it shows the image as blank. i dont know how else to explain it to you.

My main thing i am trying to do is just change the whole dock images, nothing else. I just thought i could do that in one easy step.

101. Paul says:

Hmm, alright, try this:

Let’s say you want to change the safari icon on your dock. Go to the applications folder, follow the instructions for changing the icon, just in the applications folder. Then, remove the old safari icon from the dock, and drag the updated safari back to the dock.

102. persian_princess71 says:

i get how to change it, its just that a certain image i want wont work. When i download it , it just has a blank image. I have noticed that its all of the files that end in “.sit” that wont work… i just want to know why??

If there is anyway of telling me how to make my own images that would be great cus i cant really find what i am looking for…

103. Paul says:

Perhaps the images you had aren’t working properly, I’d try downloading another icons package and seeing if that works…

this thread has a bit of info about making icons from your own images.

104. tersett says:

Where can I get the icons you have on this site (like the black and blue finder, and the Utility folder)?

105. Paul says:

It is called the Monoliff iconset. You can find those icons at the Panic Blog: http://panic.mendelini.com/

106. Awesome says:

Thanks soooo much! Ha….I was wondering why it wouldn’t work…this helped a lot! hank you again! :D

107. [...] X Icons and Dock or u could try something like this depending on where you want to use the icons How To: Change Icons Pimp My Mac Great icons by the way! I like the black [...]

108. Jon says:

when I click the NEW icon that I want to use, it shows me the Preview icon instead of the actual icon. when i try to copy and paste I get the Preview icon instead of the new icon. Why is it doing this?

109. Paul says:

It must not be a proper image file. It should be .icns or .png I think.

110. Zopiac says:

wondering if i can change, say, the icon in the panel in finder (say, the Videos link)? i’d try it myself, but i have one problem:

When i ‘get info’ on an image, it shows the default ‘page’ icon in the top left, however it does depict ‘PNG’ on it. The preview down further shows the image, but i can’t copy and paste that, nor do you even mention that. Any idea on why it does this?

Running OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, filetype is .png

111. Paul says:

Hmm, from what I know, the only way you can change sidebar icons is by using Candybar (at least on Leopard), I can no longer try it out on Tiger as I upgraded.

112. Samantha says:

I tried downloading CandyBar and it didn’t work on my version of Mac OS X. I really want to change the icon for the finder and trash can on my computer. I also tried Mighty Mouse and it didn’t work. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

113. [...] Knight’s HowTo: Change Icons [...]

114. Matt says:

@Ben, I ran into this problem, too. It looks like FireFox only gives write privileges to whatever user installed it. It is read-only for other admins. All you have to do is highlight FireFox, get info, open the area at the bottom for “Sharing and Permissions,” Unlock the padlock, enter your password, and change admin access to Read & Write.

115. jonas says:

is there a bigger image to this one http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9659/picture3cp4.jpg maybe one that i can use as a wallpaper

116. Garrett says:

Can you change the icon for Macintosh HD i try and it wont let me paste it.

117. [...] ‘How To: Change Icons” by Pimp My Mac. [...]

118. AugustinDB says:

Hello!
    First of all, thank you for this cool and useful tutorial.
    I made for my studies a new folder and I pimped the icon with my study’s logo. When I use my Finder in list-form, the logo is very little so there is no problem of quality, but I placed a shortcut in my Dock and as you can see on the picture below, the quality is not what I expected…
    The screenshot: http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8466/capturedcran20090924231.png
    Now, what can I do to have a high quality icon? (the icon I dragged like you explain in the tutorial above, was a high quality icon, so that’s not the problem…)
    Thanks for answering my question!

ADB

119. Maria says:

Hi, I’ve been trying to change my icons but I can’t, the problem is that when I get the info of the image I want to put, it doesn’t appear, I’ll try to explain my self, instead of the icon for example a tree or whatever, it only appears for example, jpeg, gif image, I mean it only appears the extension….
    I’m sorry I can’t explain better, if you understood me I’ll be happy…
    thanks anyway…

120. marc says:

thx mate…just one thing : it VOILA :P not viola… :D

121. chuck says:

how do you change safari since it is in the dock. When I right click there is no get infor

122. Thomas says:

I have Snow Leopard and my picture is a .icns. Please tell me how to change these.

123. jay says:

I can easily change icons with opening the ICN file in Preview
    Copy

then Comman I on an applications and replace the Icon with PASTE

But in Snowleopard this doesn’t work for SAFARI or iTunes.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this?
    It’s a clean installed system.

124. mikaso says:

PLEASE HELP…. I do try to change the apple icons through Get Info option….the problem is that everytime I copy a new icon file.tiff it does not appear on the screen.. whatever icon file i chose and copy , on my dektop the claasical TIFF icon appears . it seems like my computer is identifying that the new file has a tiff format and shows TIFF, but does not show the beautiful icon image.. how can i solve it. ??????thank YOU

125. Festa says:

When i go to change multiple icons it wont let me paste the new icon for some reason and it is making me mad….

126. Yasi says:

Hi, I downloaded the Monoliff icons just to see what they look like and somehow it automatically changed my iTunes icon. I didn’t install it or copy-paste it or anything! I just opened the screenshot, simply looked at the icons then deleted the files from my computer, but it somehow changed my icon! I really want my old one back :( does anyone know how I can remove it?

127. [...] in the past and both have a free and functional trial version to download. PimpMyMac can show you the laborious manual way to change your Mac icons without using any application but I don’t recommend it for anything other than changing one [...]

128. Nicholas says:

Hi can anyone tell me can all the icon in macbook can be change? Cus i cnt change icon for safari and address book icalander and etc. pls email me thanks

129. Bridgit says:

I have copied the icon and pasted on the ‘get info’ box which works, but it is still the old icon on the actual desktop. Any ideas? Thanks!

130. Brandon Chong says:

I must be doing something wrong.

When i click “Get Info” for the image I want to change the icon too, It doesn’t show the icon, it show’s the JPG file icon.

Suggestions?

131. Harrison says:

When I try to upload a certain File ex. jpg, png, ico, icon, gif. It automatically changes it to the type of file for the icon. help?

132. memmy says:

I can get this to work with folders, but not icons. I added a website link to my desktop, but I can’t change the icon. Any help?

133. david says:

hi silly question but i have tried to change my icons with an icns file and tried a png file but when i select the file and copy it then do the get info bit and hilight the folder and paste it over it just comes up with a default icon for the file i pasted (the icon that shows up before the privew dose) can anyone help me?

134. av says:

i was able to change my icon but when i pasted it on my dock, the icon became a jumble of icons inside my application folder! what to do? help please?

135. Daniel says:

Dual boot screen, How to change the icons to reflect a Mac and a window’s respective original logos? rather than the 2 boring Hdiskc icons.:)
    thanks for your help:)
    Daniel

136. [...] unnecessary, but kinda helpful to remind you what the app does. Info on changing icons can be found here. To make your own check out img2icns. Theres’s a copy of my icon in the download [...]

137. Aiden James Harmer says:

It keeps comong up with the png image

138. Grace Snow says:

Hello – Does anyone know how to change the orientation of file/folder icon and it’s name from the icon being on top of the center justified name to having both the icon and it’s name next to each other. In case that didn’t make sense, I mean : [ICON] School papers.
    Like that? Even when I completely shrink my icons, they still orient top to bottom.

139. Michelle says:

I was just wondering if we could use a normal PNG or JPEG file to make the icon. From another tutorial I’ve seen, it’s possible, but whenever I do it, the actual picture doesn’t come up. Just the default icon for the Preview App comes up instead and it’s driving me nuts. Is there something I might have missed or done something wrong?

140. alex says:

Will this work for any image file that we pul off the internet? Or does it have to be a specific type of file made for that purpose?

141. fernanda says:

can you change it on itunes cause its not working

142. Matt says:

do you know why my icon keeps reverting back after i change it?

143. Matt says:

The icon I am referring to is the google chrome Icon – I changed it but every so often it reverts back to the default image and I have to go back in and past the new image.

144. I’ve been trying to change just the one particular general folder icon so it is unique in the sidebar – unique like the Pictures folder and the applications folder etc. I’m beginning to think that isn’t possible…

145. Jarl de Vries says:

Hi, it seems the ones I like all end on .png and then the icon in the top left corner doesnt match the desired icon.Any thoughts on that?
    Thanks and regards and a happy new year! Jarl

146. ellimurphy says:

Hi!
    I tried what you said, and it all worked up until when I pasted it. It came up, instead of the icon, a Preview icon with the code name PNG on it. How do I fix this??????

147. hi!,I like your writing very so much! percentage we communicate extra approximately your post on AOL?
    I require an expert on this house to resolve my problem.
    May be that’s you! Having a look ahead to peer you.